January 9, 2009

Happy One Year

Today marks the day that we sent in our adoption application. One year ago, we switched agencies from the Foster Adopt program in Texas to international adoption in Ethiopia. We actually were talking about changing in October of 2007, after being with the states program for a year. We prayed for wisdom, guidance and direction. God reminded us that our children were in Ethiopia and not in Texas. After many disturbing issues with the Foster Adopt program, we mailed in the application and got very excited. When we started with CHI, there were only about 20 families on the waiting list and by the time we turned in our paperwork, we were number 74! We are much lower than that now and I am optimistically expecting our call within the next two months! I know, it has been three years of me saying that!
Our agency was closed two weeks for the holidays and we are hoping to hear of some referrals today.

10 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Beautifully said....I'm just going to point people to your blog for the answers!!

Brandon Cunningham said...

I hope your prayers are all answered. This is the best I have ever heard adoption explained. I love your honesty. I hope to become half the parents you and Brandon are and I can't wait for your return to CC.

Sam's mom said...

WOW Elisa -- this was a very well written explanation of everything. I'm going to tag it on my blog, so I have an answer for every questions. Fantastic! I cannot wait until you receive your referral and the 3 Hymans become 4!!

Justine said...

Love it! I know I need to do some explaining about attachment to my family. I mentioned something about not letting anyone else hold her for a while and they all looked at me as though I had lost my mind. Guess I'll be sending them here for answers!

And, yes please referrals today! Three weeks feels awfully long right now...

Erin Sager said...

Beautifully written...Hoping some good news comes in today....

Bethany W. said...

I came here from Gretchen's site...

I really appreciate this post! I am not in the process of adopting, but we hope to in the future!

I spend a lot of time on adoption blogs, and I don't want to say anything rude!

This was a well-stated post, and it was very helpful! Thank you for posting it!

Bethany

Kris, Staci, & Marley said...

Very well said, we may borrow some of this info ourselves for our blog!

Laura said...

Thanks for this post! Great job!
Laura

Gretchen said...

Hey- we've started our 7th month! Good things are ahead....

Mom to many said...

I think you have thought of everything. I thought the same things in the beginning, but have changed a bit.... I can't wait until you get your referral... should be soon. Blessings to you in your wait.