July 26, 2009

My First Fruits....

My goal when I started our garden was to be able to can a years supply of tomatoes . Gradually, every year, I want to add another vegetable and eventually provide our family with a year round supply of homegrown, organic vegetables. Our garden space, this year, could get us possibly enough tomatoes, but I think next year I may have to add another raised bed. Shhh...don't tell Brandon, I think he may freak out on me..lol! I found that carrots and green beans are pretty easy, so that will be my goal for next year. In the meantime, tomatoes. I cook daily for our family, and I use a lot of tomatoes. So here is the start for my year long supply of tomatoes.
Yup...two quarts of whole tomatoes. Stop laughing....haha! I've been carefully picking tomatoes and saving them until I had enough to can and I was so nervous to actually do it. I have researched canning tomatoes for hours if not days. There are so many ways to do it, it's kind of intimidating. These ended up being in a hot water bath. I added fresh basil, from the garden and stuffed as many as I could in each jar. They boiled for about 50 minutes. I'm really hoping that we don't get sick from these...lol.
If my blog posts stop suddenly, please check on us!

1 comment:

atHisrighthand said...

I have some tomatoes here you can "can"... :0
Honestly I stopped by to say congratulations. I am so happy for you! I have not blogged in such a long time, but really wanted you to know I am just thrilled!
blessings,
Elise