September 2, 2010

Readoption Day

Today was a success! This morning we met our attorney at the court house. Brandon and I sat in a little lobby full of adoptive families not sure what to expect, but anticipating tears. For those not familiar with the adoption process, a friend of mine put it best when she said "it's like getting married twice." Marley was already adopted legally in Ethiopia. But in order for us to get a U.S. birth certificate and then citizenship, we needed to readopt her here in the states.
It was a quick and pleasant hearing. There were only a few people in the court room. Marley sat in the lap of the Guardian at Litem. He was a friendly man, and Marley decided his lap was more entertaining that ours, so there she was. They doodled on paper the entire time. The lawyer asked Brandon a bunch of questions, to which he answered "yes" to and then the judge smiled very kindly to us and proclaimed that Sifen would now be named Marley Haset. We chose the name Haset, which is Amaric, because it means joy. We will be getting her Missouri birth certificate in the mail in the next few months. I cried. Of course.
So today, Marley was adopted again!

3 comments:

Abby/Roger said...

Congratulations!! I cried too. Wasn't expecting it, but there I was with tears streaming down my face answering yes about 20 times. It is such a wonderful day.

Alida said...

YeaAaaaaYYyyyyyyy!!!! Congratulations!!! Yet, another milestone reached!!! I love her name by the way!!!! And she is so so so cute!! U all look so good in that pic! I like how Brandon wore his uniform!!!!! So so happy ... Happy tears as I'm typing!!!

Grace H said...

Oh my goodness! I just discovered your blog and read your most recent post and its absolutley awesome! Congrats on your baby girl! It must be an amazing feeling knowing that you adopted a child and brouight her into your life to give her love and a home and be a parent to her! congrats again!

(www.flashnglam247.blogspot.com)