April 15, 2014

Surrender


Surrender: to agree to stop fighting, hiding, resisting, etc., because you know that you will not win or succeed

Surrendering your own plans has to be one of the toughest things to do.  We all have an idea of how we want things to go in our lives.  Whether it's family planning, careers, financial goals or whatever.

As a Christian, we are called to surrender to God.  We are weak, but His Spirit is strong.  We will always fail, but God never does!  So what does surrendering look like?  It is different for everyone.  I think it begins when we deny ourselves and give our lives as Christians.  Simply proclaiming that Jesus is the son of God and that he died for our sins and rose again to prove that He indeed was the Messiah is surrendering.  As we mature as Christ followers, we have opportunity after opportunity to surrender again and again.  But do we?

Do we  'agree to stop fighting, hiding, resisting, etc., because you know that you will not win or succeed?'  I know I'd like to think that I am in complete surrender, but I'm not.  Sure, I surrender the comforts of materialism so that our family can afford to participate in missions.  But for me, that's easy.  I. LOVE. MISSIONS!  But what if God called me to give it up?!  Would I fight it. Would I hide from it?  Uh......yeah I would!  And He may one day.  As for now, at this stage in my journey, He is calling me to lead teams to experience Him in a whole new way, to serve and love more than they ever have.  

So what is God asking you to surrender?  Is it pride?  Is it authority?  Is it money, retirement, vacation time?  Whatever it is, I beg you to listen to it!  I believe that when we surrender...completely surrender, He takes that and fills us with peace for being obedient.  I can only speak from personal experience.  I have seen Him in action time and time again in my own life provide and give me peace when I have been obedient!  He is our Father!  Just think about it.  If your own kids surrender to your authority and are completely obedient, aren't you more likely to want to meet their needs and desires?
Surrender!


No comments: