September 4, 2014

My Take on Evangelism

OH the dreaded E word…..Evangelism.  

As a Christian, we are called to share our faith with others.  But our methods are all different.  As they should be, because we are all gifted in different ways, we are in different environments, our life experiences are different.  Those we are "evangelizing" to also have different experiences.  


Mark 16:15
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation"

This one verse can be interpreted many ways.  What some of my non church going friends hear is, "YOU SINNER….."  I hate that that may be their only experience of someone sharing God's love with them.  WE have to share God's LOVE!  That is how people are reached!  Well that is how I was reached.  

When I rededicated my life to Christ, I was a sinner.  A BIG fat sinner.  I was a party girl.  Thankfully, I had a few Christians that loved me anyways.  When I reached a very low point, they were there.  They didn't judge my sin.  They showed me grace and love.  They modeled what Jesus did…He loved!


Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

I believe that the best type of Evangelism is being a light.  An example of God's love and grace.  Showing others that we are no greater.  

Matthew 9:36
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

1 Corinthians 11:1-2

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you.

Ephesians 4:32

32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted,forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Hey Christians….You can scream if you want to!  I have a megaphone you can borrow.  You can shame.  You can judge, you can pull out your bible and shove scripture down throats.  But what are you teaching?  What are you gaining?  Rather, who are you pushing away?  

LOVE!!!


Here are some practical ways to sharing your faith:

1. Build authentic relationships with non-Chrisitians
2.Trust the Holy Spirit to do the work of changing hearts
3.Don't just invite people to church...invest in them

Love never fails!

No comments: