November 5, 2008

Overcome with Emotion

I am overcome with emotion, all of a sudden and totally unexpectedly! Yesterday was truly an amazing day in our history! While initially, I didn't support Barack Obama, I did vote for him. See previous post to see why. After finding a quote from another blog, I began to realize the depth of this election. I knew it was important. But now I see how far our country has come. Whether you voted for him or not, we will have our first "Black" President. I quote black, because technically he is half black and half white, like my son, but America considers him black. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed, because I thought Miles would be the first bi-racial President...LOL! Nonetheless, we as a country, have come to time when race wasn't as important as it has been in the past.
For those of you that know me, and have known me for sometime, know that this is an issue that I was called to deal with. From a very young age, I was very passionate about ending racism. I have lived an extremely diverse life, lived in many different cultures, surrounded by diverse races, religions and cultures. I never really understood how people could have racist views of other people that just had darker skin than theirs. Espeacially Christians, claiming to know the love of God and then shunning interracial marriages. I grew up in the 80's and early 90's. I experienced racism beyond belief. Yes, as a white girl in an all black school, I experienced some pretty horrific things. Yet, I overcame that. I don't like to use the titles "black, white, etc." because I dream of a day when we are all Americans and not labled by the color of our skin. Yesterday is one day closer to that day and I just realized it! Wow! I can show Miles, who already knows who Obama is (thank you Nonnie), that someone that looks like him became our President. I will be able to tell my daughter, that someone from her motherland had a son who became our President. I will be able to encourage highschoolers, who think because they come from a broken home, they can't succeed, they they too can accomplish great things. I can say, proudly, that my husband, also the result of a dead beat dad, can succeed and overcome (which he already has in many ways)! I didn't realize the magnitude of last night until just now and wow...

No comments: