May 9, 2009

What's New?

Not much. Well, maybe a lot. Ethiopian courts are suspending abandoned infant adoptions out of Addis Ababa, the capital, until further notice. Apparently, there were some abandoned babies whose adoptions were questionable ethically. What does that mean? Well it most likely means that there were bribes or other unethical ways of obtaining children to put up for adoption. This was not with our agency, however all agencies will be affected. I'm not sure the percentage of children that are adopted out that are abandoned, but it is signifigant. It is still possible for to recieve a referral, but a lot is on hold and a lot is unknown.
We got this news as the big storm and tornadoes hit the midwest and Miles and I were camping out in our bathtub. We had books, toys, pillows, a radio and flash light, and of course...my camera! Oh, and a twin size mattress on top of us.

The other night, we attended a potluck for a group of Ethiopian adoptive parents. We had a great time and really enjoyed getting to hang out with families that will be made up like ours. Notice the colors of our shirts. For those of you who don't know, those are the colors of the Ethiopian flag.

4 comments:

Missy said...

Let's hope for the best!!

Love the pic, BTW!!

Amanda said...

The pic of you and Miles made me smile, but I love the planning you put into the shirt colors for the BBQ. I was just posting on Jill's blog that I'm sorry I don't live on the mainland because we've yet to meet a family like ours (with exception to the Kerrigans whom we met IN Ethiopia!).

I'm sure things will work out in Ethiopia-the judges seem very concerned with details and I know it makes some people worry, but it made us feel very secure. Our children have so many questions regarding their whole situation, and I feel confident giving them answers. If things weren't done the way they are, I wouldn't feel so confident answering their questions, you know?!

Your baby girl's out there. She is. She is. :)

Justine said...

Glad you and the little guy are safe now! Try not to worry too much. Things will get resolved and your little girl is coming. Don't worry - it will happen. Oh, and someone form our agency just got a court date of May 13! There is still time for us. Can't wait to meet you there (:

Chatter said...

Hi Elisa,
It's Chandra (from the Ethiopian party). Just wanted to say hello since I made it over to your blog. It was great to meet you guys and thanks again for bringing the bounce house! We look forward to the next get together.

I also got a kick out of the picture in the tub. We just got done bringing our boys down to the basement because of the storms rolling through tonight.

The family picture from the party is great! We should have taken one.