June 10, 2014

The First Week

June 5

Although flying from Europe to Ethiopia is only have the time it would be flying from the States, it still took a toll on the kids.  They were tired.  We arrived at the guest house within only our carryons,  because like true missionary travel, our bags went to Uganda without us.  So at 8:30 am, I had two very tired, hungry kids.  Marley found friends in the guesthouse staff, while Miles complained about being bored.  I was beginning to worry about his transition.  I woke him from a deep sleep for an opportunity to walk to a pizza place. It was a long walk for tired kids, he grew impatient and starting complaining about the smells, the animal poop in the road, and everything else that I have grown accustom to.  Again, I worried about him. In return for a better attitude, I bribed him with a taxi ride back to the guesthouse.  Taxi, really isn't what you would call our hired transportation, but it did the job.  As I piled both kids in to a motorcycle rigged to be a covered three seat car, also known as the blue devils, I saw Miles to begin to find the adventure in it.  

Later that evening, we joined Brandon's team for dinner at the Traditional Ethiopian Restaurant. The day was beginning to look better. Both kids ate traditional Ethiopian food!  And when the dancing began, the kids' faces lit up!  They were mesmerized by the tribal dances.  I couldn't keep my eyes off of my kids.  They were enjoying a culture that is so dear to me.  They forgot about video games, and just observed.  There is hope!  Tomorrow will be another day! 

We arrived in Kampala , Uganda without any problems.  Our Driver, Charles, met us with his giant smile! All four of us piled into the van with all 12 bags.  The kids were too tired to take in the sights and slept most of the journey.  We were warmly greeted by my friends Sarah and Samuel and their three kids.  Sarah had recently had anew baby and I was anxious to hold her. As we were walking off the porch onto the grass to go to our room, I fell. I held to baby up, so that she avoided the rocky path near us.  She was fine.   I handed her off to Sarah and instantly began to fell dizzy.  As I scooted up to sit on the porch, my left ankle popped back into socket.  The toes on my right foot looked a little slanted.  At first, I thought I had dislocated them.  Thankfully, I followed Sarah's advice and went to a hospital.  Nine of us loaded up into a van and headed to get a professional opinion.  Sarah didn't want to miss out on our kids playing, so she brought her three.  Our kids played in the van while I sat in a Ugandan hospital.  They were quick to help me.  After examinations from two doctors, xrays on both feet and $20 later, I was told I had one sprained ankle and three broken bones in the opposite foot.  They didn't have the materials to cast it, so I thanked them for their time and left. 

June 8
We said our good byes and left for Jinja.  Again, my kids could care less about the scenery and slept the four hour trip.  When we arrived at our friends home, we were greeted with warm hugs and smiling faces.  My kids' faces lit up when they finally got to meet the kids that were close to their age. Even though they complained about bug bites, I could see the tone changing.  They were beginning to adapt!

We attended their home church while about 25-30 kids played outside for over two hours.  Miles said it was one of the best days of his life!

June 9
We had planned a family outing, but it poured down rain all day long.  So we improvised.  All 13 missionary kids sat on the floor for over five hours, only breaking for a bowl of rice and beans, playing Legos.  I sat with my leg elevated and iced. I began to see my kids transition to life in Africa ease up.  They were loving it.  Yes, they have bites all over them.  Marley has all kinds of scrapes from falls, but they are having fun!  
After having my foot casted, I hobbled over to a window to see Brandon helping the kids harvest fresh mangos.  Marley came in beaming with pride over her very hard green mango!  She is patiently waiting for it to change colors.
Today was good, my ankle is healing hand I've upgraded to walking alone with a cane.  Tomorrow our whole family will do village ministry together!  

No comments: