June 18, 2011

Uganda Day 3 Sixty Feet

Being my first mission trip, I wasn't sure what to expect when I woke up this morning.  I packed my backpack with jump ropes, deflated soccer balls, kick balls, a parachute and snacks.  We were told that we would need to pack our own lunch.  Where do you get a sack lunch in Kampala, Uganda?  We just packed whatever American snacks we brought with us.  My lunch today was beef jerky, almond butter and a granola bar.  

Our bus drove through many winding dirt road to a compound that is called M1.  The real name or location of this Children's Prison is not allowed to be posted online.  I was a little confused when I saw little children running up to our bus as it was still driving, looking for a parking space.  The children we happy to see up, screaming "Mzungu," which means white person! Some of them were very small, maybe four years old!  Why were they here, at a children's prison?  
We all stepped off of the bus, one at a time, to be eagerly greeted by precious children who just wanted our full attention.  I can imagine why.  Lutyon was the little girl I got to love on today.  She is an orphan girl about 10 years old residing at M1 because she has no where else to go.  She held my hand and followed me all over the compound.



When we walked all over the place.  I wasn't sure what to expect from a children's prison, but the children were so well behaved!  Of course, the children got a little out of hand when we started passing out the sports equipment, but that was to be expected!  They had nothing, nothing. They just roamed the field in between the buildings that housed them.  The children loved having us there.  We were the first large mission team to visit!


We go to worship and have fellowship with them, as part of the Sixty Feet Ministry.  Sixty Feet visits these children at least twice a week to love on them and teach them about the love of God.  They are doing an amazing thing here and could use tremendous support and prayers!  

We did learn that most of the "offenders" were in this prison for minor things such as accidentally hitting a chicken with their bike.  We also learned that the smaller children where Karamajon, who are the poorest of the poor in Uganda.  They are orphaned children that were picked up and brought there.

No comments: